Today at BiteMyRecipe we bring you a wonderful recipe to accompany your table, some crispy and tasty battered or battered squid rings.
This recipe is very famous in Spain, especially in the area of Andalusia.
Roman style squid They contain a list of ingredients that mixed together achieve a very rich flavor and a crunchy texture.
These fried squids are usually served as an appetizer, a tapa or as an accompaniment to a main dish and will steal all the prominence from the table.
For this recipe for Roman squid, you will not need almost any oil and you will be able to keep all the flavor of the squid inside the batterThis is achieved thanks to the high temperature at which the fryer cooks without oil.
I suggest you try it and accompany it along with any dishboth meat and fish since the battered squids have a mild flavor and little aggressive that allows to be accompanied with any other food.
With this traditional Roman recipe you can also get some soft squid rings so the kids can enjoy it tooyou will only need to buy a whole squid and cut the widest slices.
To cut the squid rings correctly, I use this special knife to cut the squid into slices of the size I want.
We recommend adding a dairy touch to the table with a dessert like La Viña-style cheesecake in the air fryer.
There are other recipes that use a similar mixture prepared in the air fryer, such as the battered onion rings in the air fryer or the famous and delicious cachopos in the air fryer.
If you like meat, we also have very well-made batters such as Russian fillets or cod fritters, don't hesitate to try these recipes because they are delicious.
If you like these calamari rings, visit our entire repertoire of recipes in the Airfryer to have a new healthy recipe to cook at home every day
Ingredients for the Roman squid recipe in the air fryer
- Medium squid - 7 oz
- 1 egg
- Wheat flour - 4.9 oz
- 1 tsp of Powdered yeast
- Water - 150ml
- Olive oil - 10ml
- parsley (optional)
- Lemon (Optional)
How to cook Calamari Romana in the Airfryer
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- We prepare a bowl with the mixture to get some very crispy battered squid rings
- Mix an egg in the bowl
- Add the water, baking powder and salt to the mixture.we beat everything until all the ingredients are mixed
- When the mixture is ready, we have to continue beating while we add little by little the 140 grams of flour until we get a homogeneous mixture without lumps.
- When we have the mix ready, Lastly, add the olive oil. and we beat it all good again
- Pour the squid rings over the mixture until they soak well and remove them on a plate with absorbent paper or baking paper
- We prepare the air fryer at 190ºC for 8 minutes (The squid rings have to be cooked for 4 minutes on each side)
- I recommend covering the basket with parchment paper to avoid staining the air fryer.
- Place the squid separately to prevent them from sticking while they cook
- When the airfryer finishes cooking them, add the onion rings and accompany them with a sauce such as our piquillo sauce or a Mexican-style green sauce.
- And now you have our recipe for fried calamari in a airfryer!
Tips for a good recipe of Battered Calamari in a Airfryer
- To get some delicious Roman squid it is important to mix all the ingredients well and not have lumps
- If you buy a whole squid much better since You can cut it to the size you like the most (The finer the better since they will not be raw and will be crunchier)
- You can accompany this appetizer with a good main dish such as a potato omelette in the air fryer or a cockle pie
- In BiteMyRecipe we recommend a very sweet and refreshing dessert like a raspberry cake in the air fryerand
Substitution of ingredients
- Frozen squid ➡️ Whole squid (you would have to clean them, remove the guts and cut them)
- Squid ➡️ Cuttlefish or squid strips
- Wheat flour ➡️ Any flour is suitable
- Salt ➡️ Himalayan pink salt
- Egg ➡️ 50ml of milk (They won't stay the same, but It is the best substitute for squid rings Roman style)