Today in BiteMyRecipe We have prepared a recipe for traditional homemade torrijas in a airfryer and very easy to prepare!
There are many ways to cook French toast, although the typical ones are made with milk, with stale bread and lemon and orange.
Spanish torrijas are a homemade and typical dish for breakfast on weekends.
You can make light French toast, sugar-free French toast, diabetic French toast, but any is better than buying them.
This recipe for homemade French toast in a airfryer is simple and healthier because they are without frying.
I have cooked everything in my 5.5L Innsky air fryer.
You don't have to be a masterchef to prepare good torrijas with a lot of flavor and for 4 people or more.
You can also decorate them with honey, with condensed milk or prepare them stuffed.
I recommend trying other air fryer desserts like the Air Fryer Greek Yogurt Cake Recipe or the Air Fryer Santiago Cake Recipe
And if you want a healthy dessert try this recipe for apple oatmeal cookies in a airfryer!
Ingredients for the recipe for homemade French toast in an air fryer
- 1 loaf of French toast (or stale bread)
- Milk - 1.5 liters
- 10 tbsp of white sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- skin of half a lemon
- half orange skin
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon powder
Preparation in airfryer
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- In a medium pot we put 1 liter of milk, the cinnamon stick, the orange peel and the lemon peel to cook
- Add half of the sugar and stir
- When 10 minutes have passed remove the cinnamon stick, the skins and transfer the milk to a deep plate
- When the milk is lukewarm, cut the French toast bread into 1.5 cm slices
- Beat the eggs and pass the bread until soaked on both sides
- After the egg we dip the bread in the flavored milk
- We place oven paper for air fryer and the torrijas on top
- We cook in the airfryer at 200 ºC for 10 minutes
- At half time we turn all the loaves
- In a small pot, boil 500 ml of milk with the cinnamon and the rest of the sugar.
- We lower the fire when it boils and let it cook for just a few minutes
- When the mixture cools, pass the torrijas over there
- Decorate with cinnamon and powdered sugar
- And we already have our recipe for homemade French toast in a airfryer!
Tips for a good recipe for homemade French toast in a airfryer
- The skin of the orange and lemon should be as superficial as possible and not wear the white part
- You can boil and cook the milk in the Thermomix instead of in a pot
- If the torrijas bread is from the day before, better (it can also be prepared with normal stale bread)
- The final milk mixture can be strained and served as a sauce for the French toast
- It is important to leave space between the torrijas and not to pile them up, I have made several batches
Substitution of ingredients
- Torrijas bread ➡️ Normal bar bread from the day before or bimbo bread (they don't look so good)
- Lemon peel ➡️ Lemon essence (a few drops) or a little anise
- Orange peel ➡️ Nails
- Semi-skimmed milk ➡️ Skimmed milk, whole milk, lactose-free milk or vegetable drinks
- White sugar ➡️ Brown sugar or sweeteners