At BiteMyRecipe we have prepared a recipe for tequeños accompanied with piquillo sauce and raspberries that is very easy to make and you will only need a airfryer.
This recipe for tequeños is healthy and although it is not low in calories, it can be eaten from time to time as a starter or second course and to share with the family.
In this case, It is a recipe suitable for vegetarians but not for celiacs, although we have given some tips below to change some ingredients and that can be eaten by all.
In this article we will talk about how to prepare tequeños, tricks about the dough and some tips so that they are crispy on the outside and melted on the inside.
Tequeños are a typical food from Venezuela and sometimes it is a bit difficult to find them in restaurants in Spain. and you open, so we bring you the perfect recipe to make them at home easily and quickly.
For the piquillo sauce with raspberries We have left all the ingredients and their preparation in this article of Piquillo Pepper Sauce with Raspberries.
The best thing about this recipe for tequeños is not having to turn on the oven so we avoid spending and passing heat or risk of burning ourselves.
These Venezuelan tequeños will be big and fluffy but not greasy. since they are cooked in the airfryer and with a gluten-free alternative.
Other delicious appetizers and starters to accompany at the table and share with everyone are, for example: feta cheese samosas and/or croquettes stuffed with creamy mozzarella
How long do tequeños stay in the air fryer?
You only need 8 minutes of cooking of the tequeños in the air fryer so that they are crispy and with the melted cheese inside.
Times may vary depending on the brand of oil-free fryer you use, the number of tequeños, the size of the tequeños, and the temperature you set the air fryer to.
If you follow our steps and quantities, With 8 minutes of cooking at 200 ºC you can get the tequeños to cook on both sides and the cheese remains melted inside.
We do not recommend putting a higher temperature because it could be done on the outside but the cheese will remain compact and not melted on the inside.
Ingredients for the recipe for tequeños with piquillo and raspberry sauce
- Wheat flour - 10.5 oz
- Light butter - 1,2 oz
- 1 splash of warm water
- 1 egg
- Emmental cheese
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- Melt the butter for about 10 seconds in the microwave.
- In a bowl put the flour, the egg, the butter and a pinch of salt to mix it
- When everything is integrated, we are pouring the trickle of water little by little, until we have a homogeneous mass that does not stick to the fingers.
- We cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes
- We take out our ball of dough, stretch it with a rolling pin to make it thin and make strips
- Now we cut the emmental cheese into sticks
- Each stick is wrapped with a strip of dough, giving it the shape of a tequeño
- We carry the tequeños to the freezer at least 1 hour
- We put the airfryer to preheat to 200 ºC
- We cook the tequeños in the air fryer for 8 minutes at 200 ºC
- We take out and we have our tequeños ready to dip in the piquillo and raspberry sauce!
Tips for a good recipe for tequeños with piquillo pepper sauce and raspberry
- If you are celiac and want to prepare gluten-free tequeños, you should change the wheat flour for a gluten-free flour
- It is important let the dough rest for at least 10 minutes so that it integrates and grows
- Do not move or play with the dough after resting because if you move it a lot you could lower all the air and the previous rest would not help at all
- To shape tequeño with the dough you must take a strip and roll the cheese stick diagonally and without going through the same place twice
- You have to take the tequeños to the freezer for an hour so that it comes out crispy on the outside and the melted cheese on the inside
- In this case we accompany it with a sauce of piquillo peppers and homemade raspberry but it can be accompanied with whatever you like the most.
Substitution of ingredients
- Wheat flour ➡️ Gluten-free flour
- Emmental cheese ➡️ Gouda cheese or other types of cheese (you can use the cheese that you like the most but I recommend emmental for the great flavor it brings and for how easy it is to cut it into sticks)
- Light butter ➡️ Butter or Margarine (these options are less healthy)